Renowned as the world's largest teakwood building, Vimanmek Mansion was in fact once a royal residence. The mansion was used as a residence for few years and then forgotten. Her Majesty the Queen rediscovered it in the eighties and turned it into a complex of museums. The building now exhibits Thai heritage from the times of King Rama V.
The mansion has 31 exhibition rooms, with the bedrooms, the throne room
and the bathrooms preserving Thai atmosphere. Some rooms show Thai art
including silverware, ceramics, crystal ware, and ivory. The museum
displays things from ancient artifacts of Thailand's pre-history to
contemporary photographs donated by His Majesty the King. The museum in
fact has now become a large complex of museums.
After his return from Europe in 1897, King Rama V (1868-1910) purchased
orchards and paddy fields between Padung Krungkasem Canal and Samsen
Canal for developing of a royal garden. He named it Dusit Garden.
Vimanmek Mansion was the first permanent residence in the Dusit Garden,
built in 1900.
The completion ceremony of Vimanmek Mansion was held on March 27, 1901.
King Rama V transferred his residence from the Grand Palace to stay
permanently at Vimanmek Mansion for five years. Thereafter he went to
Amporn Satarn Residence in 1906 where he lived until he breathed his
last in 1910. King Rama VI (1910-1925) granted permission to Her Majesty
Indharasaksaji to stay at Vimanmek Mansion.
Keep in Mind